Progammes Coordination and Advisory is one of the three technical divisions of the Council and is charged with the following functions:
- Coordinating population programmes /projects implemented by different organizations
- Collecting, receiving analyzing programme data, assessing their impacts and making recommendations arising from the impact assessment
- Formulating, appraising project proposals
- Monitoring and evaluating on-going projects /programmes
- Developing the Agencies annual, quarterly workplans, performance contracts and reports
- Supervising programme implementation by field based staff at the County level.
- Coordinating international and Regional programmes and plans of Action such as ICPD PoA,
Under the new establishment the NCPD has 10 County offices. The offices are manned by the County/Regional Population Coordinators. They will be in charge of National Council for Population and Development activities in a number of counties.
Specific duties will entail: coordination of population programmes/projects; supervising, collecting, receiving and analyzing population programmes; liaising with other population stakeholders for formulation and appraisal of project proposals; developing the County’s annual and quarterly work plans, performance contracts and reports; coordinating regional programmes and plans of action; ensuring analysis of research documents prepared by stakeholders in the county; developing research papers; ensuring regional implementation of National Population Policy; developing regional policy briefs; data entry and analysis communication; and advocacy and public education.
Further duties include:-ensuring that the public is well informed on key policy issues on population through publications, barazas, newsletters, mass media, electronic media, shows, exhibitions, conferences etc; and carrying out advocacy for support on population programmes.
The Department subscribes to the Mandate of “Providing leadership in the development, coordination and implementation of population and related policies and programmes for quality life”
And to the vision of having “A well managed population for quality life”
Besides contributing to the achievement of the other objectives in the 2010-2015 Corporate Strategic Plan the Department mainly focuses on enhancing capacity for programme planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluation.
- Coordination Strategy and Manual
- Monitoring Frame and Manual
- ISO procedure for coordination and monitoring
- NCPD corporate strategic plan and AWPs
- 2013/2014 Annual Work-plans and Performance Contracts
Objectives of the Division
The Communication Advocacy and Public Education key objectives are:
1. To enhance advocacy and public awareness on population issues facing the country and other counties
2. To improve knowledge and information base on population issues
3. To influence opinions or attitudes about an issue, policy or program
4. To influence behavior in relation to an issue, policy or program
CAPE is mandated to coordinate all advocacy and information, education and communication (IEC) activities at national, regional and county levels. CAPE also undertakes high level advocacy targeting policy makers and leaders for financial and political support for the country’s population programs.
It also builds consensus through advocacy and sensitization programmes on contentious population and reproductive health issues including family planning with a view of managing our population for quality life.
In order to create and increase awareness for and ownership around the concept of small family norm, as well as mobilize the targeted audience for action, the department develops and updates appropriate IEC materials, engages strategic advocacy tools and organizes public events to sensitize the general public on critical population, reproductive and family planning issues as well as engaging members of the fourth estate in disseminating this information to various groups.