National Leaders’ Conference on Population and Development
Who We Are
The National Council for Population and Development (NCPD) was established in 1982 as a department in the then office of the Vice President and Ministry of Home Affairs. Its role was mainly to advice on all matters pertaining to population. NCPD’s mandate was further enhanced under Sessional Paper No. 4 of 1984 on Population Policy Guidelines, and was later revised, to form the backbone of Sessional Paper No. 1 of 2000 on National Population Policy for Sustainable Development.
The National Coordinating Agency for Population and Development (NCAPD) was established as a Semi Government Autonomous Agency (SAGA) through Legal Notice No. 120 contained in the Kenya Gazette Supplement No. 68 of 29th October, 2004. Through legal notice No. 172 contained in Kenya Gazette Supplement No. 152, dated 25th November 2011, the organization has since reverted back to its original name, the National Council for Population and Development (NCPD).
- Research and analyze population issues and develop policies relating to population.
- Provide leadership and mobilize support for population programmes, including coordination and implementation by different organizations.
- Assess the impact of population programmes and make recommendations arising from such assessments.
- Identify and advise on population issues that may not be adequately or appropriately dealt with by the government.
- Create public awareness on population and development issues in Kenya
- Undertake viable advocacy activities aimed at achieving support on certain population concerns.
Quality Population for a Prosperous Kenya
To provide Excellent Leadership in Population Policy Development and its Implementation for Sustainable Development.
OUR CORE VALUES
In pursuit of our vision and mission, we shall be guided by the following fundamental core values:
- Evidence based